Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Introducing Kivu ... My new cat!


So... I've been having some problems with rats. They live in my roof and occasionally go into my kitchen and most recently into my house. I am absolutely petrified of rats and so a cat was the only logical answer to my rat problem. Unfortunately, Rwandans do not think kindly on pets and in all my time in Rwanda I had yet to see any cats. But, fortunately for me, my friend Benjamin knew of someone who could get me a cat and so one day Kivu came on a bus all the way from Kibuye (which is a horrible two hour bus ride) in a burlap sack. And that's why I named him Kivu; after Lac Kivu in Kibuye.

He's a great cat and I have no more rats! All the Rwandans think I'm crazy because I actually feed him and let him sleep on my bed. They call me "umusazi", which means crazy.

Anyways, here's Kivu.

5 comments:

Jenn Alvarez said...

What a great little kitty! I hope he continues to do his job well. I would much rather be called crazy than live with rats!

bb (Barbi) said...

So you are the crazy cat lady of Rwanda? Nice!

Jenn Alvarez said...

Mary Rose where are you? No update since September. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving in Rwanda!

Bri said...

Hope you are doing well Mary Rose. I have to admit, I could never quite get the reasoning of why keeping cats or dogs in the house is considered crazy or dirty, but somehow being overrun by rats, roaches, lizards, etc. isn't! Go Kivu! Happy holidays!

Jenn Alvarez said...

Happy Birthday Girlie! I hope you're having a great time. I am getting worried about you...please update your blog!