Thursday, April 2, 2009

T Minus Two Weeks!



Two weeks to go and I will be done with my Pre-Service Training! Which means I’ve been in Rwanda for almost 10 weeks now and boy has the time flown by. If I pass my language and technical tests then I can be sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteer on April 15th and move onto my site. All of us trainees are in study mode right now because our language skills have to be high intermediate in Kinyarwanda to be sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteer.

The pictures I have are from one of the national parks here in Rwanda that we visited a couple of weeks ago. There are a handful of national parks in Rwanda because ecotourism is becoming very popular here. The parks are very beautiful and it’s great to know that the current government is taking steps to perverse the environment and animals here in Rwanda.

Last week there was an earthquake and because I was still sleeping I thought for a minute that I was in California. There is an active volcano here in Rwanda and the earthquake was due to volcanic activity.

Tomorrow is my birthday – I can’t believe I’m going to be 27. Man, I’m getting old…

6 comments:

Aly said...

You're not old, don't worry. =) How often do you have internet access? I sent you an email a few weeks ago, I'll try again. Congratulations on almost being sworn in, and JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE! Hope it's as amazing as last year's was ;)

Jenn Alvarez said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Mine was on Tuesday. It was nice. Quentin took me out to a "fancy" dinner at Perkos. :-)
Did you get the card I mailed you? I hope it didn't get lost in the abyss of the USPS...
Take care and study hard!
P.S. Did you mean to type preserve instead of perverse? :-)

49FRANK said...

Happy Birthday Mary Rose
I'll follow your blog when I can..
Take care of yourself.

Uncle Frank

Papa said...

Hi Mary Rose,
Glad to see you are doing OK. Hope your ear infection is doing better. Happy Birthday again and glad to hear that you passed the language tests.
I will call Easter Sunday.
Love ... Your Father and Family

Lisa Domser said...

Hi Baby! How is everything going? I'm not surprised you are doing great and enjoying your experience there. Happy Birthday. Speaking of birthdays Joelle had a baby on April 4th I think. She hasn't been by to show everybody the little bundle of joy but she has sent pics and he is really cute. We really miss her around here. As well as you. County budget is a realy big deal around here lately and Pedro is holding employee forums so no one is suprised or mislead by what the county is planning/going to do. It was informative. The guy knows his stuff. Anywho, I'm finishing up a couple of weeks in this semester. I took art (sculpting) and philosophy. I guess I'm never going to be the one to figure out where we all came from. And that's ok with me! Philosophy hurts my brain. Heehhee. I did appreciate the cave allegory (maybe I learned something afterall). They are not offering anything that I need over the summer so I might do an online math class and get that going. Kids and I are all great. Let me know whats new and exciting. I love ya sis, take care of yourself. Lisa

mackenzi said...

Hello. My name is Mackenzi Borja and I am Marie Thuloweits granddaughter that lives in Spokane, Washington. You used to work with her. She gave me your blog link because she knows my plans to join the Peace Corps after I complete college (I am still a senior in high school but will be graduating in less than 2 months :D). I was just wondering if you would tell me about your experiences so far through the Peace Corps. The good and the bad. If you could just email me at borjam@evhs.net that would be great. Thank you so much.

~ Mackenzi Borja